Registration deadline is Tuesday, April 3, 2018.
The Supervisory Training Program (STP), is AGC's 6-unit, 140-hour curriculum that has been developed, updated and field-tested by and for contractors. These units are designed to stand alone, and may be taken in any order. Take a few units or take all 6 of them, depending on the skills you want to cultivate.
In STP Unit 1: Leadership & Motivation, you will learn:
- Dollars and Sense of People and Construction: Case Study: The Contractor Who Lost the Bid; Improving the Bottom Line by Effective Supervision; The Cost of Poor Supervision; Cost and Causes of Personnel Turnover; Learning New Jobs, Tasks and Skills; Communication, Trust, Respect, Teamwork, and Cooperation.
- The Role of the Construction Supervisor: Case Study: The Confused Supervisor; Supervisory Leadership and Motivation; Crew Supervisor in the Linking Pin Role; Positive Discipline.
- Helping People Perform Better: Case Study: The Poorly Motivated Crew; Assumptions about people; The Performance Equation; Encouraging External Competition and Self-Improvement; Delivering Timely Training and Information; Encouraging Responsibility and Self-Control; Setting Positive Expectations.
- Motivation: Case Study: The Worker Who Lost Motivation; General Motivational Strategies; Recognizing Personality Types; Internal Motivational Techniques; Job Enlargement and Job Enrichment; Construction Supervisor's Motivation Tool Kit.
- Leading Others: Case Study: The Inconsistent Supervisor; Leading Others; Being Consistent but Flexible; Leadership Styles.
- You Get What You Expect: Case Study: The New Crew Supervisor; Setting Positive Expectations; How Workers Respond to Supervisor's Behavior; Putting the Theories to Work.
- Positive Feedback: Case Study: The Tough Supervisor; Giving Positive Feedback; Benefits of Giving Positive Feedback.
- Training and Orienting Crew Members: Case Study: The Lead Trainer; Orientation and Training for New Workers.
- Teams and Team Building: Case Study: The Team That Didn't Work; Why Teamwork is Important; Team Types; The Construction Supervisor's Role; Phases of Team Development.
- Leadership Skills in Action: Case Study: The Fleckster Company buyout; Review of the Course.